Preparation and cooking time
- Prep:10 mins
- Cook:25 mins
- Serves 4
This storecupboard fish stew is bulked out with bread and is full of fresh, summer flavours
- 4 slices stale bread , diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 4 frozen white fish fillets, such as cod or pollock
- 400g can butter beans , drained
- small pack parsley , roughly chopped
- 1 lemon , cut into wedges
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Put the bread on a large baking sheet, drizzle over 1 tbsp oil and bake for 10 mins until golden. Set aside.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, heat the rest of the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened for about 10 mins, then add the garlic and chilli flakes and stir for 1 min. Tip in the tomatoes and fish fillets. Cover and simmer for 10 mins until the fish is nearly cooked, then uncover.
- STEP 3
Tip in the butter beans, season well, then cook until everything is hot. Serve scattered with the croutons, parsley and lemon.