Preparation and cooking time
- Prep:15 mins
- Cook:15 mins – 20 mins
- Serves 2
These storecupboard chipotle patties are not only thrifty, they count as four of your 5-a-day allowance of fruit and vegetables.
- 1 sweet potato (about 200g), cut into cubes
- 400g can red kidney beans , drained and rinsed
- 3 spring onions , finely sliced
- small bunch of coriander , chopped
- 1 tbsp chipotle paste
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- juice 1 lime
- 1 Little Gem lettuce , torn
- ½ cucumber , halved lengthways and sliced on the diagonal
- 1 carrot , halved lengthways and sliced on the diagonal
- STEP 1
Microwave the sweet potato on High for 6 mins until tender. Lightly mash the beans, then add the potatoes, 2 spring onions, coriander, chipotle paste and seasoning. Mash a little more until the potato is combined. Shape into 4 cakes.
- STEP 2
Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan, then fry the bean cakes for 4-5 mins each side.
- STEP 3
Meanwhile, mix the mayo, lime juice and seasoning in a bowl. Add remaining onion and salad ingredients and toss well. Serve alongside the bean cakes.