Preparation and cooking time
- Prep:25 mins
- No cook
- Serves 6
Take a healthy Vietnamese approach to salads by using cold vermicelli noodles with a sweet dressing, shellfish, coriander and mint
- 200g thin rice noodle (vermicelli)
- 12 cherry tomatoes , halved
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- juice 1 lime
- 2 tsp palm sugar or soft brown sugar
- 1 large red chilli , ½ diced, ½ sliced
- 2 pink grapefruits , segmented
- ½ cucumber , peeled, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots , cut into matchsticks
- 3 spring onions , thinly sliced
- 400g cooked large prawn
- large handful mint , leaves picked
- large handful coriander , leaves picked
- STEP 1
Put the noodles in a bowl, breaking them up a little, and cover with boiling water from the kettle. Leave to soak for 10 mins until tender. Drain, rinse under cold running water, then leave the noodles to drain thoroughly.
- STEP 2
In the same bowl, lightly squash the cherry tomatoes – we used the end of a rolling pin. Stir in the fish sauce, lime juice, sugar and diced chilli. Taste for the right balance of sweet, sour and spicy – adjust if necessary (see tip, below).
- STEP 3
Toss through the noodles, then add all the remaining ingredients, except the sliced chilli. Season and give everything a good stir, then divide the noodle salad between 6 serving dishes and sprinkle over the chilli before serving.