Preparation and cooking time
- Prep:20 mins
- Cook:15 mins
- 1 big tin
Make this salty and sweet trail mix with nuts, dried fruit, pretzels and chocolate chips for a picnic with kids, or as a snack for movie night
- butter, for the tray
- 150g mix of your choice of: pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, cashews, pecans, pistachios, chopped dried apricot, raisins, dried cranberries
- 150g caster sugar
- 100g milk or dark chocolate chips
- 25g bag mini salted pretzels
- 25g bag mini Ritz crackers
- rainbow sprinkles, for dipping
- STEP 1
Butter a baking tray. Mix together your chosen fruit, seeds and nuts in a medium saucepan. Add the sugar and stir together over a medium heat for 10 mins until the sugar has melted and caramelised. Quickly tip onto the baking tray, press down a little and leave to set (it won’t fill the whole tray).
- STEP 2
Melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water, then half-dip the mini pretzels and crackers in the chocolate. Half-dip some in the sprinkles, leaving some plain. Place on a wire rack to set as you go along.
- STEP 3
Once the fruit and nut praline is set, bash it up on the baking tray with a rolling pin to make little clusters. Mix with the chocolate pretzels and crackers and pack in little paper bags.