Preparation and cooking time
- Prep:10 mins
- Cook:30 mins
- Serves 2
Mary Cadogan’s aromatic broth will warm you up on a winter’s evening – it contains ginger, which is particularly good for colds.
- 900ml chicken or vegetable stock (or Miso soup mix)
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 175g)
- 1 tsp chopped fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 50g rice or wheat noodles
- 2 tbsp sweetcorn, canned or frozen
- 2-3 mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 spring onions, shredded
- 2 tsp soy sauce, plus extra for serving
- mint or basil leaves and a little shredded chilli (optional), to serve
- STEP 1
Pour the stock into a pan and add the chicken breast, ginger and garlic. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, partly cover and simmer for 20 mins, until the chicken is tender.
- STEP 2
Put the chicken on a board and shred into bite-size pieces using a couple of forks. Return the chicken to the stock with the noodles, sweetcorn, mushrooms, spring onion and soy sauce. Simmer for 3-4 mins until the noodles are tender.
- STEP 3
Ladle into two bowls and scatter over the remaining spring onion, mint or basil leaves and chilli, if using. Serve with extra soy sauce.