Preparation and cooking time
- Prep:5 mins
- Cook:10 mins
- Serves 4
Struggle to find dishes to cook that take very little time but the whole family will love? Look no further than these chicken and halloumi burgers
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp oil , plus extra for frying the halloumi, if needed
- 4 tbsp piri-piri sauce or other mild chilli sauce, plus extra for drizzling
- ½ lemon , juiced
- burger buns , split in half
- 250g block lighter halloumi , sliced into 8 pieces
- ¼ small white cabbage , finely sliced
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 4 tbsp hummus , tzatziki or soured cream & chive dip
- handful of rocket or 4-8 soft lettuce leaves
- 2 large roasted red peppers from a jar, drained and sliced
- STEP 1
Put the chicken breasts between two pieces of baking parchment and bash with a rolling pin until 1cm thick. Cut each into two even pieces.
- STEP 2
Heat two frying pans over a medium-high heat, heating the oil in one. Fry the chicken in the oiled pan for 3-4 mins on each side until cooked through. Season. Reduce the heat, drizzle in the chilli sauce and half the lemon juice and cook for 1-2 mins more until the sauce is reduced. Remove from the heat.
- STEP 3
While the chicken cooks, toast the buns in the dry frying pan for 30 secs. Transfer to a plate, then fry the halloumi in the pan (add a bit of oil if the pan is not non-stick) for 30 secs on each side until golden. Toss the cabbage with the mayo and remaining lemon juice.
- STEP 4
Spoon the hummus (or dip of your choice) into the toasted buns, then top with the rocket, chilli chicken, halloumi and peppers. Drizzle with a little more chilli sauce, spoon over the cabbage, season with black pepper, and top with the bun lids. Serve with any extra cabbage on the side, or a green salad.